Mars often gets a bad rap because it represents the more sordid side of the personality: desires of all kinds, anger, rage. Mars is named after the god of war, after all! But Mars also represents inspiration, motivation, the ability to set good boundaries and defend ourselves. Mars requires action and we generally only see its negative qualities when that action is stifled for some reason. Mars isn’t necessarily destructive, nor does it necessarily inspire rage in the heart of humans. But Mars needs an outlet in order to perform efficiently, and the planet that Mars travels through tells us the best way to channel Mars energy at that time.
Mars just entered the sign of Capricorn, the sign that teaches us to master the material world, and will remain there until December 4th The symbol of Capricorn is the mountain goat, scaling great heights with courage and tenacity. Capricorn loves structure and business – it follows the rules of society and is patient and disciplined in order to achieve its goals Mars is said to be exalted in Capricorn because the potential wild energy of Mars is most effective when channeled through the order of Capricorn.
Each sign acts as a correction for the previous sign, so as Mars enters Capricorn it is leaving the sign of Sagittarius where it dislikes boundaries and rules. The transition to a more structured environment may be somewhat challenging but will pay off in the long run. While Mars is in Capricorn it will eventually set off the Uranus/Pluto square, creating abundant conflict and destruction anywhere there is stagnation that requires a new approach.
Here are ten things to know about the journey of Mars through Capricorn.
- Mars in Capricorn seeks nothing less than to master the material world. Emotions are less important under this influence and finding the discipline to develop the skills that help you to climb the mountain of success are the desired traits.
- This is a great time to set goals and plan actions. Mars in Capricorn isn’t a visionary – it wants to DO something. For every goal you have, devise a strategy that includes a “next action” to make it happen.
- Mars in Capricorn likes everything to be orderly. Unlike Virgo which just likes organization, Mars in Capricorn likes order because it preserves efficiency. Make sure all of your equipment and software works so that you can accomplish the things on your to-do list.
- Tempers are cooler when Mars is in Capricorn, but that doesn’t mean that no one is getting angry. Anger can simmer beneath the surface and requires resolution if problems arise.
- Under this influence there is more caution, and the giddy optimism of Mars in Sagittarius gives way to a more tempered approach to investing and other business decisions.
- When Mars is in Capricorn our responsibilities become more important. Expect to take on perhaps a little more than you can handle, Capricorn is not afraid of a little hard work.
- Empathy takes a back seat when Mars is in Capricorn. The ends justify the means, and reaching the goal is the critical factor.
- With Mars bumping up against Uranus (radical revolution) and Pluto (destruction and regeneration) in November, the endurance and need for control of Capricorn can become brittle and shatter under the pressure of change from Uranus. I’ll be writing more about that later.
- There will be little time for relaxation when Mars is in Capricorn. With such a strong emphasis on achievement and responsibility, that nap in the sun will have to wait!
- Everyone loves a winner, and Mars in Capricorn needs to win. Find a way to challenge yourself with a new skillset that will help you to conquer your competition.